Writing is never an easy job but somehow it is also very rewarding. And knowing when and where to use the right words adds so much joy while writing but that needs experience but as a new writer, it can get quite tricky.
In this article, you will be able to get the idea of using strong verbs to sharpen your writing because verbs play a very important role in English sentences. They are used to show actions, external and internal both, which is an important element in writing and is always needed – the actions.
Wikipedia defines Verb as – “A verb (from Latin verbum ‘word’) is a word (part of speech) that in syntax conveys an action (bring, read, walk, run, learn), an occurrence (happen, become), or a state of being (be, exist, stand). In the usual description of English, the basic form, with or without the particle to, is the infinitive. In many languages, verbs are inflected (modified in form) to encode tense, aspect, mood, and voice.
We all are aware of the tenses that verbs have, that is past tense, present tense, and future tense then there are types of verbs and so many details but we are here to see how we can use verbs in our writing.
First of all, to sharpen your writing it is not just a verb that you need to focus on, yes it is very important but talking of writing as a whole thing, one must have a very strong vocabulary which takes years to build. The best way a person can learn and enhance vocabulary is to read, watch videos and stay consistent. These things take time but when you are consistent in your learning and you have that inner motivation to learn then it becomes way easier for you to learn and remember all the words that you are adding to your language every day.
Strong verb to sharpen your writing –
Always keep two things in mind, first – Remember that a strong verb can stand alone without depending on other parts of speech and the second thing to keep in mind is – you don’t always need to use a strong verb. Sometimes the sentence is just perfect as it is written. So don’t try to force strong verbs in a sentence if it doesn’t feel right. If you do, the sentence will lose its originality and also it will lack the impact it has before.
A strong verb must be able to create an image in the reader’s mind effortlessly. It must be able to create a sense of smell and touch. The strong verb used in the right place in the sentence is able to make the reader feel the strong emotions that the author tries to convey through the text. And all of these things make the reader hooked to your writing.
Now without any delay let’s look at the list of strong verbs that one can use in their writing.
- Amplify, Acclaim, Affirm, Allure,Appeal
- Bang, Burst, bump, boom, Blubber
- Cry, Command, Crush, Clasp, Catch, Cripple, Crave
- Devour, Discover, Drop, Devastate, Direct, Desimate, Disentangle
- Enfold, Envelope, Explore, Electrify, Explore, Expose
- Flick, Frown, Fling, Fortify,Fume
- Glare, Gaze, Glisten, growl, grin, grumble, gallivant, Groan
- Hop, hammer, hijack, hover, hack, hurry, hearten, huddle, hug
- Invigorate, intensify, intertwine, inspect, ignite
- Kiss, kindle, kick, knock
- Lift, leap, lurk, lash, lead
- Moan, muzzle, magnify, meander, modify, mystify
- nestle, notice, nail
- Pinpoint, pierce, propel, plunge, pluck, power, pilfer, plunder
- Quench, question, quest, quarrel
- Recoil, retreat, race, ransack, release
- Scan, seize, sabotage, snitch, slash, smash, shatter, shine, stare
- Tantalize, tremble, thunder, tickle, trudge, trigger
- Untangle, underestimate, unite, unravel, urge
- Veil, validate
- Whack, whirl, whiz, wrench
- Yank, yearn
- Zest, zap, zip
Using such strong verbs in sentences makes the change. For example – ‘She glared at him’ or ‘He can pinpoint the gap in our plan.’
You can see the way these sentence clearly putting the emotion and action in the readers mind. Using such strong verb shows exactly what the writer wants to show it’s reader without telling too much. Provided in the list are some of the strong verbs that you can use in your writing to make it more polished and effective. The more you practice the more you develop your writing style, that’s the thing about developing one’s writing – it requires patience.
Hope this article help you. Thank you for visiting the page!